It’s so nice and warm outside now. Spring is finally here. With this warm weather all I’m craving is raw and crunchy food. My latest obsession is a mixed bean sprouts salad with orange vinaigrette dressing. I have it as a snack, a main, a side or even as a make-ahead dish to take to work. It is very simple and full of healthy raw ingredients.
Bean sprouts, when eaten raw, are crunchy vegetables packed with fibre, protein, vitamins and minerals. They are high in Vitamin C, Vitamins B complex, Vitamin A, C and Vitamin E, and a good source of calcium, magnesium, potassium, phosphorous and iron.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup mixed bean sprouts (sprouted from mung beans, red and green lentils, lima beans, chickpeas
- 1/2 small cucumber
- 1/2 small carrot
- 1/2 orange pepper
- 1/2 yellow pepper
- 1 celery stalk
- 4 spring onions
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- a handful of homemade (one word) dried cranberries (check the recipe)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
Orange vinaigrette dressing:
- 1 small orange
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1/2 tsp pink salt
For the dressing:
- juice the orange.
- In a mixing bowl, pour freshly squeezed orange juice, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, dijon mustard, maple syrup, salt, and pepper.
- Mix well.
For the salad:
- Chop all the vegetables (except for bean sprouts).
- In a salad bowl mix chopped vegetables, bean sprouts, and dried cranberries until well mixed.
- Add orange vinaigrette dressing, and mix well.
- Sprinkle with sesame and pumpkin seeds.