Another delicious recipe for a healthy dinner or lunch. It is packed with lean protein, complex carbohydrates and healthy fats. I love eating broccoli as it gives a very nice texture and nutritional value to dishes. Broccoli is high in antioxidants, magnesium and fibre.
For this dish I used tri-colour quinoa as it is nicely crunchy and gives a lovely nutty taste. Great as well for a post-training meal as quinoa aids recovery.
Makes: 2 portions
Preparation time: 30 minutes
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups tri colour quinoa
- 1/2 broccoli head
- 5 closed cup mushrooms
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 small onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/3 cup cashew nuts
- salt and pepper to taste
- First prepare the vegetables. Finely chop the onion and garlic. Cut the pepper into strips, slice the mushrooms and slice the broccoli florets into smaller pieces, making sure they’re all about the same size for even cooking.
- Cut the chicken into even slices and set aside. Heat the olive oil and add chicken. Cook it for a couple of minutes, tossing until just cooked. Remove from the pan.
- Add some more olive oil if needed. Add onion. Cook for about 5 minutes or until tender and golden. Add more olive oil or a bit of water if sticking to the pan.
- Add garlic and cook for another minute. Add the broccoli florets and mushrooms, mix well and cook covered for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When the broccoli starts to soften, add sliced pepper, chicken and the stock. Cook for another 5 minutes, adding more stock if seems too dry.
- Meanwhile prepare the cashew nuts. Toast them in a dry pan for about 2 minutes on each side or until they turn slightly brown. Remove from the pan and allow to cool.
To serve add quinoa, mix well and toss with toasted cashew nuts. Eat immediately or store in the airtight container in the fridge up to 3 days.