I make this dish all the time. The combination of sweet potato, beetroot and ginger makes this soup thick and creamy. Sweet potato is high in vitamin B6 and a good source of vitamin C, potassium, and magnesium. It contains vitamin D and iron.
Makes: 2 servings
Preparation time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Difficulty level: easy
- 2 cups vegetable stock (you can use chicken stock as well)
- 1/2 cup shallot, finely chopped
- 2 small beets, peeled
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1-inch fresh ginger
- ½ tsp squeezed lemon juice
- ½ tsp coriander
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Grease baking tray with coconut oil.
- Cut sweet potato and beetroot into 2 inches small cubes and place cubed beetroot on a baking tray to roast for about an hour.
- Halfway through the baking time, add sweet potatoes, and roast for another half an hour.
- When the beetroot and sweet potato have cooked, set them aside to cool.
- In a large saucepan heat the remaining coconut oil and add chopped shallots. Reduce the heat to a medium and sauté for about 2 minutes, or until the shallots start to brown.
- Add chopped ginger, garlic, and celery. Cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the beetroot, sweet potato, half of the vegetable stock, and the rest of ingredients, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Set aside and cool to a room temperature.
- Once cooled, blend it with a hand blender until smooth do you want to give them an alternative if they don’t have a hand blender.
- Put the soup back on the hob, add the remaining vegetable stock, and cook for another 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Pour the soup into bowls, and serve