These paleo cupcakes are one of the best cupcakes I’ve ever made. They may be a bit different from the ones you can get in the store but I kind of prefer this version because of the consistency, frosting and they are not overly sweet. This was my first time baking with almond flour and coconut sugar so I was a bit unsure of how they would turn out, I wanted them to be perfect as I was making them for my friend’s birthday party. The end result was a soft, light and incredibly delicious cupcakes.
Makes: 12 cupcakes
Preparation time: 1 1/2 hours
- 165g almond flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup cashews
- 6 tbsp orange juice
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- zest of 1 orange
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees celsius and line the muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- In a large mixing bowl prepare the dry ingredients and mix well.
- In a separate bowl using a hand blender lightly whisk the eggs.
- Once fluffy add the dry ingredients and mix on a low speed for another minute or until well combined but not over beaten.
- With an ice cream scoop or using a tablespoon scoop the mixture into muffin cases, covering 1/3 of the case.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until the toothpick comes out dry.
- Once baked remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before decorating with frosting.
- In a high speed food processor process the cashew nuts until they’ve turned into a powder, then add the remaining ingredients and process until well combined.
- Transfer into an airtight container and allow the mixture to set in the fridge for about 2 hours.
- Once set or it’s firm enough for piping transfer the mixture into a piping bag and decorate the cupcakes.
- If you don’t have a piping bag you can also just use a tablespoon to place the frosting on top of the cupcakes.
Store the cupcakes in the fridge, they will last up to 4 days.