I like to make these carrot cake protein bars on the weekend and then have them during the week for my breakfast on the go, as a post-workout snack or a healthy dessert. They are moist and nicely sweet with an intense cinnamon flavour. They are also high in protein, healthy fats and complex carbohydrates.
Makes: around 16 bars
Preparation time: 1 hour
- 2 1/2 cups gluten-free oat flour
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup brown rice protein powder
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- zest of an orange
- Line a large baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine gluten-free oat flour, protein powder, chia seeds, all the spices, salt and mix well.
- Put almond butter and orange juice into a bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix until well incorporated.
- Lastly, add the carrots and give it another good stir.
- Add a bit more of orange juice if the mixture is too dry.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking dish and press firmly.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Take out from the fridge and cut out bars.
- Store in airtight container. It will last up to 3 days.