This crunchy chocolate spread tastes and smell almost like a Nutella and it is my latest obsession! I like to mix it into a warm porridge, a smoothie, have it on a slice of gluten free bread, drizzled over fresh fruit or eat it straight from the jar. I probably eat it straight out from the jar most of the time. The recipe requires coconut sugar, this comes from a palm tree, it’s high in minerals and vitamins. It is also low in glycemic index so it won’t cause your sugar level to rise.
Makes: one small Mason jar
Preparation time: 10 – 20 minutes
- 1 cup toasted hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- a pinch of sea salt
- Firstly preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and roast the hazelnuts until they are lightly toasted, this takes around 7 to 10 minutes depending on your oven.
- When the hazelnuts are roasted remove from the oven and allow it to cool. Once they have completely cooled, transfer them into the food processor with an S blade and process for about 30 seconds.
- Remove around 1/3 of the hazelnuts and set them aside. Process the remaining hazelnuts for 3 minutes or until it forms a spread.
- During this process, you will have to scrape down the bowl of the food processor a few times. Add the raw cacao powder, vanilla essence, melted coconut oil, coconut sugar and salt. Process until all of it has combined completely.
- Finally, add the pre chopped hazelnuts and process for another minute. Store in a glass jar with a lid. I like to use Mason jars because they are not only very functional but also look very cute.