I love eating strawberries all year long but even more when they are in season. I normally get them from a local farmer’s market, there is one every Sunday not far from where I live. I buy them in larger quantities, enjoy them during the week or use them in many different recipes.
My two favourite way of using them are strawberry chia seeds jam and vanilla strawberry overnight oats. Overnight oats are probably the most simple breakfast you can make ahead.
They are packed with complex carbohydrates, complete protein and healthy fats. I like to mix oats with nut milk and chia seeds as it makes it even more creamy and nicely thick.
Makes: 1 large mason jar
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- ½ cup (heaping) rolled oats
- ⅔ cup unsweetened almond milk (or any other milk of your choice)
- ¼ cup hulled and chopped fresh strawberries
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or any other sweetener (optional)
- 1 tbsp cashew nut butter
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- In a medium bowl mix together the almond milk, cashew nut butter, maple syrup, vanilla essence and salt. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Transfer into a small mason jar or a jar with a lid and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or preferably overnight.
- For best results shake or stir the mixture a few times during the process of soaking.